Wednesday, February 21, 2018

The Billy Graham Rule (How Billy Graham was a Good Example to Me)



I join many people around the world today in giving thanks to God for the life and ministry of Billy Graham. God used him in so many ways to help so many people. I did not come to Christ through Billy Graham, but God used him to help me in another way. To me, Billy Graham was an example of integrity.

Many big name evangelists eventually brought dishonor to the Lord and His work because they fell into sin. But not Billy. How I thank God for his integrity.

I want to get very specific. There is a rule in ministry which some even call “The Billy Graham Rule”. Here it is in his own words:

We pledged among ourselves to avoid any situation that would have even the appearance of compromise or suspicion. From that day on, I did not travel, meet or eat alone with a woman other than my wife. (From Just As I Am by Billy Graham, quoted in Where Did the Billy Graham Rule Come From? in TGC by Justin Taylor).

I remember reading this and deciding that I should have basically the same rule for myself. My slightly altered version is that I will not meet with a woman in a private setting unless she is clearly old enough to literally be my mother.

This rule has helped to guard me throughout more than twenty years of full time ministry. I realize it is not a specific rule in the Bible, so I do not judge others if they do not follow this rule. But I do highly recommend it. I think it is an excellent way to put into practice some Biblical principles. Consider these verses:

But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people. (Eph. 5:3 NIV)

Flee from sexual immorality.  (1 Cor. 6:18a NIV)

Flee the evil desires of youth and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart. (2 Tim. 2:22 NIV)

God's will is for you to be holy, so stay away from all sexual sin. (1 Thess. 4:3 NLT)

In addition to avoiding sexual immorality, Billy Graham also made specific efforts to avoid temptations related to money and other sins. I am convinced that Billy’s integrity throughout his lifetime is a major reason that God used him so powerfully to win so many people to the Lord and also to encourage many in ministry. This is not surprising. It is an application of this teaching from the Apostle Paul:

In a large house there are articles not only of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay; some are for special purposes and some for common use. Those who cleanse themselves from the latter will be instruments for special purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work. (2 Tim. 2:20-21 NIV)

I thank God for the good example of Billy Graham’s integrity. I do not have his level of gifting in evangelism, very few do. But by God’s grace and with God’s help, we can have the same level of integrity. And when we do, we can be confident that we, too, will be “useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work.”


Hebrews 13:16 And do not forget to do good and to share with others . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment