Saturday, February 24, 2018

Purification Leads to Service




Our daily Bible reading included Numbers 8 this morning. There we find this passage, followed by instructions about how to carry it out:

CSB Numbers 8:6-7a “Take the Levites from among the Israelites and ceremonially cleanse them. This is what you must do to them for their purification . . .”

This is one of many passages which teach us that purification from sins prepares us for service to God.

For the Levites, this purification included various types of animal sacrifices which symbolized how God cleanses us from our sin. Praise God, we now have the fulfilment of all those symbols. Jesus died as the sacrifice for our sins. This connection between the Old Testament sacrifices and the death of Christ is explicitly explained in the book of Hebrews (see, for example, Hebrews 10:1-10).

For the Levites, there was both a onetime purification ceremony and also ongoing sacrifices to cleanse them from their sins. Likewise, our sins are forgiven when we accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior, which is a onetime event. Yet, we continue to sin and that sin interferes with our relationship with God and others. So Jesus taught us to pray daily “Forgive us our sins” (Luke 11:4).

God purified the Levites, yet they also had responsibility to purify themselves:

NIV Numbers 8:21 The Levites purified themselves and washed their clothes.

Likewise, our sins are washed away by the blood of Christ, and yet we are also called to purify ourselves:

NIV 2 Corinthians 7:1 Therefore, since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God.

In terms of receiving forgiveness for our sins, we simply believe God’s promises and trust in Jesus and what He has done. But we are called to work hard, with God’s Holy Spirit power and guidance, to get sin out of our lives.

As we are purified, like the Levites we will be prepared to serve God and serve His people. We can see this principle applied in the biblical qualifications for church leadership (1 Timothy 3:2-12 and Titus 1:6-9). These qualifications are almost entirely related to moral character and integrity. Also, it is those who are living by the Spirit who are prepared to help others when they stumble:

NIV Galatians 6:1 Brothers and sisters, if someone is caught in a sin, you who live by the Spirit should restore that person gently. But watch yourselves, or you also may be tempted.

In general, as we purify ourselves, we will be prepared for God to use us in many ways:

CSB 2 Timothy 2:21 So if anyone purifies himself from anything dishonorable, he will be a special instrument, set apart, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work.

King David understood this principle. After his terrible sin, he knew he needed God’s forgiveness and cleansing. He understood that only after his own sins were cleansed would God use him to help others turn to Him:

CSB17 Psalm 51:1 For the choir director. A psalm of David, when the prophet Nathan came to him after he had gone to Bathsheba. Be gracious to me, God, according to your faithful love; according to your abundant compassion, blot out my rebellion.
 2 Completely wash away my guilt and cleanse me from my sin.
 3 For I am conscious of my rebellion, and my sin is always before me.
 4 Against you-- you alone-- I have sinned and done this evil in your sight. So you are right when you pass sentence; you are blameless when you judge.
 5 Indeed, I was guilty when I was born; I was sinful when my mother conceived me.
 6 Surely you desire integrity in the inner self, and you teach me wisdom deep within.
 7 Purify me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
 8 Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones you have crushed rejoice.
 9 Turn your face away from my sins and blot out all my guilt.
 10 God, create a clean heart for me and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
 11 Do not banish me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me.
 12 Restore the joy of your salvation to me, and sustain me by giving me a willing spirit.
 13 Then I will teach the rebellious your ways, and sinners will return to you.

A Prayer:  Lord, please purify from all our sins. We thank You for the great sacrifice of Christ which makes our purification possible. Lord, help us to do our part in purifying ourselves. And as we are purified, please use us to minister Your love, truth, and power to many others so that sinners will return to you.




Hebrews 13:16 And do not forget to do good and to share with others . . .

1 comment:

  1. Awesome insight into the transforming work of God in our lives. Romans 12:1-2 also comes to mind as a description of this process. THanks, Mark.

    ReplyDelete