Monday, October 23, 2017

Heart Matters: Layers of Glory




I was walking a couple of mornings ago and I saw multiple layers of misty fog.  I tried to capture it with my camera which I often take with me, but only occasionally use.  The photo above is the best I could do with the low light.  There are four fog layers visible, including the lowest one which is lying right on the field near the trees. The photo doesn’t really do it justice though, I wish you could have been with me. The feel of the quiet autumn air added to the effect.

When I see fog hovering above a field, it often reminds me of God’s glory.  Perhaps it is because of the description of smoke filling the throne room of God which Isaiah saw (Isaiah 6:4).  Seeing the four layers of misty fog hanging in the air made me think about how God is working on so many different levels in our world, our lives, and our hearts.

God created and ordered splendid galaxies which are so far above us we cannot see them.  He designed our planet and its atmosphere to support a world full of life.  Our Lord made each cell of our body.  These cells are full of intricate wonders including miniature machines and super tiny information storage devices all working together to enable us to see God’s world and think about His greatness.

In our lives He ordains where we live and for how long. He raises up and pulls down nations as He wills.  He also watches over and cares about the everyday events in each of our lives down to details so small that we ourselves would never notice them. He keeps track of the number of hairs on our heads.

And God is working in our hearts and minds. Some of this work we are aware of as we read His Word, talk with a brother or sister in Christ, or listen to a song about Jesus. But some of what God is doing is deep down in our emotions, desires, and dreams.

At levels of detail far below what we can see and in things so large and glorious they are beyond our comprehension, as well as in the things we do see and think about (like fog banks on a morning walk) God is working.  He is calling people to love Him and to trust Him in Christ.  And for those who do love Him, He is working at all these levels and in all these ways for our eternal good. Layers and layers of glory.

Praise God!




Hebrews 13:16 And do not forget to do good and to share with others . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment