Monday, March 8, 2021

Long Shadows: Our Lives Influence Future Generations!

Our family dog, Sadie, was taking me on my daily morning walk. It was cold (24⁰F) and so I was bundled up. The sun was just rising over the horizon. I noticed how long the shadows were and that led to some thoughts that I recorded in this less than 2 minute video:

 

 

Here are some related Bible verses to meditate on (all quoted from CSB):

1 Kings 15:26 Nadab did what was evil in the LORD's sight and followed the example of his father and the sin he had caused Israel to commit.

2 Chronicles 17:3 Now the LORD was with Jehoshaphat because he walked in the former ways of his father David. He did not seek the Baals . . .

1 Corinthians 4:15 For you can have 10,000 instructors in Christ, but you can't have many fathers. For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel. 
16 Therefore I urge you to imitate me. 
 17 This is why I have sent Timothy to you. He is my dearly loved and faithful son in the Lord. He will remind you about my ways in Christ Jesus, just as I teach everywhere in every church.

1 Corinthians 11:1 Imitate me, as I also imitate Christ.

Philippians 3:17 Join in imitating me, brothers, and observe those who live according to the example you have in us.

1 Thessalonians 1:5 For our gospel did not come to you in word only, but also in power, in the Holy Spirit, and with much assurance. You know what kind of men we were among you for your benefit, 
 6 and you became imitators of us and of the Lord when, in spite of severe persecution, you welcomed the message with joy from the Holy Spirit. 
 7 As a result, you became an example to all the believers in Macedonia and Achaia.
 
1 Thessalonians 2:14 For you, brothers, became imitators of God's churches in Christ Jesus that are in Judea, since you have also suffered the same things from people of your own country, just as they did from the Jews 
 15 who killed both the Lord Jesus and the prophets and persecuted us; they displease God and are hostile to everyone, 
 16 hindering us from speaking to the Gentiles so that they may be saved. As a result, they are always completing the number of their sins, and wrath has overtaken them at last.
 
2 Thessalonians 3:7 For you yourselves know how you must imitate us: We were not irresponsible among you; 
 8 we did not eat anyone's food free of charge; instead, we labored and struggled, working night and day, so that we would not be a burden to any of you. 
 9 It is not that we don't have the right to support, but we did it to make ourselves an example to you so that you would imitate us. 
10 In fact, when we were with you, this is what we commanded you: "If anyone isn't willing to work, he should not eat."

1 Timothy 4:12 Let no one despise your youth; instead, you should be an example to the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity.

2 Timothy 1:4 Remembering your tears, I long to see you so that I may be filled with joy,  
5 clearly recalling your sincere faith that first lived in your grandmother Lois, then in your mother Eunice, and that I am convinced is in you also.

2 Timothy 2:2 And what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses, commit to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.

Titus 2:6 In the same way, encourage the young men to be self-controlled 
7 in everything. Make yourself an example of good works with integrity and dignity in your teaching.

Hebrews 13:7 Remember your leaders who have spoken God's word to you. As you carefully observe the outcome of their lives, imitate their faith.

1 Peter 2:21 For you were called to this, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you should follow in His steps.

1 Peter 4:2 Shepherd God's flock among you, not overseeing out of compulsion but freely, according to God's will; not for the money but eagerly;
3 not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock.

May God make your life a good example to both your biological children and grandchildren and also to future generations of believers!

 

Hebrews 13:16 And do not forget to do good and to share with others . . .

 

A related blog post:

Sunflowers and Sonpeople 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder and exhortation, Mark. I thought about my example to all my children. I want them to follow my example in loving and following Jesus. Unfortunately, though, there are some areas that I can be a better example to them. This was a good motivator...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terima kasih sudah mengingatkan untuk menjadi teladan yang benar bagi anak-anak. Salam untuk Mark sekeluarga

    ReplyDelete