Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Give Us the Heroic Heart of Hacksaw Ridge Hero Desmond Doss




Real life WW II hero Desmond Doss was powerfully portrayed in the movie Hacksaw Ridge.  The most unforgettable aspect of Desmond’s heroism was his repeated, courageous prayer:

“Please, Lord, help me get one more.”

Desmond was not the first person who received such courage from the Lord.  Consider these quotes from the Apostle Paul:

NIV Acts 20:24 However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me-- the task of testifying to the good news of God's grace.

NIV Acts 21:13 Then Paul answered, "Why are you weeping and breaking my heart? I am ready not only to be bound, but also to die in Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus."

NIV 1 Corinthians 9:19 Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible.

NIV Philippians 1:20 I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death.

NIV 1 Thessalonians 2:2 We had previously suffered and been treated outrageously in Philippi, as you know, but with the help of our God we dared to tell you his gospel in the face of strong opposition.

NIV 2 Timothy 2:10 Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they too may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory.

This heroic commitment, this spiritual warfare mentality, this “all in” attitude, is not just for Paul and heroes like Desmond.  It’s for all of us:

NIV 2 Timothy 2:3 Join with me in suffering, like a good soldier of Christ Jesus.

The same Holy Spirit who gave courage and zeal and endurance to Paul and Desmond is available to empower you and me.

We are all in the midst of a raging battle which is just as real as Hacksaw Ridge was.  But the stakes are even higher.  And our enemy is even crueler.  And the battle field is even darker.

And so I offer this prayer, modeled after Desmond’s:

Lord, give us strength to serve You one more day.

Help us to share Your gospel one more time and win one more soul to the Lord.

Give every mother strength to get up in the middle of the night to comfort her children one more time.

Help those called to teach to prepare one more Bible study and one more sermon which is faithful to Your truth.

Enable us to encourage one more brother or sister who has been wounded by the Devil’s attacks.

Go with us as we visit one more neighbor in the hospital, or sick at home.

Give every caregiver strength to serve with patience and love one more day.

Empower every parent of a prodigal child to offer up one more prayer.

Motivate us all to give to support Your work even when our own finances are tight one more time.

Give us grace and strength to lovingly correct one more wrong belief.

One more soul to win, one more discouraged person to lift up, one more need to meet, one more truth to teach, one more battle to win. It’s all only by Your Grace and only for Your glory.

Please, Lord, help us get one more.




Hebrews 13:16 And do not forget to do good and to share with others . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment